Burlesque by Force is an independent one-human show about consent, sexual trauma and silence-breaking that is part true story, part metaphor, part poetry. Through the deconstruction of costume and character, audiences are invited into the meaning of surviving sexual violence.
Burlesque by Force premiered in Adelaide Feast Festival 2017, underwent an independent season at the Butterfly Club in Melbourne in 2018, then returned to Adelaide for Fringe Festival 2018 at Nexus Arts Venue.
- “You cannot leave Burlesque by Force unchanged. You cannot say that you don’t know what is going on, or claim that it has nothing to do with you” Adelaide Advertiser
- “delivers a gut-wrenching – and essential – dramatization of a tragic chapter from Australia’s present that is also vivid, demanding, and designed to shake you out of complacency” Australian Stage Online
- “The connection with the audience is so intense that all eyes are transfixed” AU Review
- “it packs a punch that leaves you thinking long after you have left the theatre” Barefoot Review
- “an energetic and forceful personality on-stage” Stage Whispers
- howiman.com blog post
- Interview with Subculture Media